Friday, June 25, 2010

Book 60: Turn Coat

Turn Coat by Jim Butcher

As much as I enjoy The Dresden Files, they are also like popcorn. Meaning, I can't say they always leave a huge impression two months later, so this review is going to be rather short, even after reading the summary online, which I think managed to confuse me more than it helped (I'm pretty sure my brain has stopped functioning some time in the last two months). Then again, I read a Sookie Stackhouse novel earlier this week, and I've already nearly forgotten it, so Butcher is a more substantial type of popcorn, possibly. Yeah, brain = not working.

In Turn Coat, the Warden Morgan, comes to Harry for help after being accused of murdering a member of the Senior Council. Morgan, of course, is known for not liking Harry at all, and was basically his probation officer in the beginning of the series so it's rather unexpected that he would turn to him for help. However, Harry is willing to help because despite his personal problems with Morgan, their past has also given him an understanding of the man, and Harry knows that Morgan would never betray the Council.

The issues with the secret Black Council have been building over the past few novels, and this one definitely has a few break throughs on that front as far as revealing some of the players. The White Court is also heavily involved in this novel (then again, with Thomas being Harry's half brother, they always tend to be involved, which is fine since they have some fun characters - although honestly, with their death rate over the past few novels, I'm surprised there is still a Court left or employees).

Dresden soon finds himself attacked from all sides: the Council, a skinwalker, a type of supernatural and super-evil being, and a few beings with connections to the Black Council all want Morgan. As usual, when Dresden is in a tight corner, he manages to concoct a plan that could work if it doesn't get them all killed first.

I really enjoy this series because it is so much fun even if it occasionally can get over the top. I don't think I felt that way about this one although I did after reading the summary. That's the problem with quite a few of the things I like: when I start actually explaining them, they sound rather ridiculous. Oh well.

No comments: