Friday, September 18, 2009

At Least They Don't Glitter

The last few weeks have been kind of busy - London for Labor Day, last weekend my parents visited and I took them to Prague, and I also finally caught up with Season 4.5 of Battlestar Galactica (awesome!).

I also watched True Blood to see what all the hype was about. Not quite sure how I feel about that one - I like how much more of a role Lafayette had in comparison to the first novel, I thought Sam came off as a bit of a jerk, Jason was definitely shown as more of an idiot. I liked the Tara story line which wasn't in the novel, though. I'm not sure how I feel about Sookie - honestly, in the novels, they address the fact that some of her friends, such as Arlene and Tara, have a tendency to slightly use her (well, a lot in Arlene's case). However, I didn't think Sookie was that good of a friend to Tara in the show - it seemed like Tara was always there for Sookie, even if she was judgmental of Bill. When Tara needed Sookie, she didn't seem to care/was annoyed because she had other issues at that time (which granted she was dealing with Bill's possible death, but Tara didn't know that). Of course, most of the raving about the show has been more recently, so I guess it picks up in the second season. Kind of makes sense since Eric should start playing a larger role, and he was always a lot more interesting and exciting than Bill.

I also liked how they already started setting up things that would happen in later novels, such as Eric referring to an edict when with Bill. Easy comment to forget about while watching the show but if you've read the novels, it's a nice set up for later.

No comments: