Friday, May 26, 2006

Two More Days

I moved out of my apartment today, and I'm staying with my parents until Sunday morning when I hit the road. I can't believe it's already time for me to leave. Of course, I also can't quite believe that I have to go back to Warrior Forge to be an instructor. I went there last year to be trained, didn't particularly enjoy it, and now I'm going back. There has always been something distinctly odd to me about the Army and the cadet-to-officer transition. After all, I've been in ROTC for a year more than the cadets that are going to Warrior Forge this year, but somehow that is supposed to make me experienced enough to train them? While I felt prepared to go to camp as a cadet, I don't feel like I have that much more knowledge now than I did then. The only thing that sets me apart at the moment is the fact that I've actually completed Warrior Forge, and have been commissioned. Other than that, I have more in common with the cadets than the other cadre members . I guess at least with this attitude I won't have to worry about making an ass of myself as a result of a misplaced superiority complex.
Speaking of getting ready for the Army, the colonel at my school recommended that we should all get laser pointers once we became officers. The Army simply does not work without Power Point presentations. I wonder if this is what he had in mind. Why would anyone spend $3500 on a laser pointer? Okay, it burns through tape, lights cigarettes, has healing powers (what the hell?) etc. - guess what: matches can do two of those three things. And you don't even always have to pay for matches. Although if anyone in the audience wasn't paying attention, maybe I could start burning holes into their clothes with the laser (I wonder if there is a "stun" option).

No comments: