Sunday, May 03, 2009

Book 46: Eva Luna

Eva Luna by Isabel Allende

Ever since I started reading Allende's novels last year, I'd consider her as one of my favorite authors. While some of her novels are better, I enjoy them all. Despite that, it tends to take me at least twenty pages to really get into any of her books, and until I reach that point, I generally just don't feel like even picking up the book. I'm not even sure why. It's just when I first start her novels, it takes some time for me to get excited about them even though I know I won't be disappointed.

As usual, Isabel Allende weaves an entertaining and varied cast of characters into her novels with just the right amounts of political drama and romance. Eva Luna, the main character and narrator of the novel, is orphaned at a young age, but remains optimistic throughout her life. She works as a servant in various houses but her true skill is her story telling ability, which fascinates many. Despite many set backs, Eva always manages to land on her feet or find another person that is willing to help her through her adventures. As with all Allende's novels, political upheaval also plays a role, and some other key characters include Rolfe, Mimi, Riad among others.

No comments: