Sunday, July 11, 2010

Book 64: My Horizontal Life

My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler

I decided it might be time to switch up my reading a little bit since I'd been having a hard time focusing on the types of books I usually read. From what little I've seen of reactions towards Handler online, it seems like people tend to either really like her or hate her.

Overall, it was a quick and forgettable read. There were definitely a few times I laughed out loud at some of her comments and the situations she got herself into, and other times, that I kind of judged her (such as all her partying while living off unemployment). However, one thing in her favor, is that Handler definitely doesn't try to portray herself in a favorable light or to get everyone's sympathy. She wants to tell an entertaining story but she's not sharing any of this to get pity or to make people think that she's likable. I know one complaint that I've noticed about several of the more fluffy types of memoirs is that the people writing them tend to sound horribly self-centered and egotistical but still want everyone to love them.

Actually, considering the title, I was surprised by how unsuccessful most of the one-night stands were - then again, I guess those don't make for funny stories. I'm having a hard time remembering any stories specifically other than the very first one which was about a dare her sister challenged her to as children. I doubt I'd buy another one of her books but I would read it if I got a free copy somehow.

No comments: