Sunday, January 09, 2011

Book 4: I Feel Bad About My Neck

I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron

A friend of mine sent me this for Christmas because she thought it would be a light fun read. It was one of the books I brought on the plane with me, and I picked up when I couldn't get into Three Cups of Tea. I wasn't expecting too much, and the book was good for about two hours of entertainment and distraction. Some of the essays were rather good while others seemed like a short blog update or a throw-away magazine article. If I had actually paid for the book, I would definitely have been disappointed with the brevity of the book at less than 150 pages (it is literally light).

My favorite two essays were the ones were she discusses her love of books. She discusses how certain books just completely draw her in, and how she would get irritated with people at work for asking her questions when she was trying to read The Woman in White (oddly enough, I read Drood after this). The other one I quite liked was where she discusses an apartment she had lived in for quite a long time in New York. I just liked her descriptions of the neighborhood, the community, and the fact that she uses numbers of mochas as a reference for cost.

I was a little less interested in her essay on her purse (probably because I actually like my Coach bag), and the one on maintenance/grooming. Overall, not a bad collection, but it wasn't anything spectacular or something I would have picked up on my own.

No comments: