Saturday, April 27, 2013

Book 45: Girl Walks Into a Bar

 
I picked this up because I was in the mood for a light read, and this certainly fits into that category.  It was a very quick read, and while I mostly enjoyed it, it also started dragging a bit towards the last half or end for me.  Rachel Dratch's career followed a similar trajectory to Tina Fey's and Amy Poehler's - sketch comedy with Second City to SNL except since her stint at SNL she has mostly had small roles or guest appearances while the aforementioned women have developed their own shows.
 
Dratch discusses her career after SNL, the fact that she only fits a certain type according to Hollywood, and addresses the fact that she was replaced on 30 Rock.  For me, this was the part of the book that worked the best, when she was discussing the rise of her career and work.  After this, she focuses on her dating life after SNL, and some of those stories were amusing.  Since at this point, she never discussed work too much, I did keep wondering how she was supporting herself since I doubt that she had made that much money at SNL to support her for years, but obviously there were always the small roles here and there.  They just weren't her focus in this section of the book.
 
She wraps up by discussing her unexpected pregnancy and her relationship with the father.  I didn't find this part quite as funny as some of the other parts of the book, though they weren't bad.  She also starts becoming a bit more new agey in this section, even though she says she really isn't that into that stuff.  When I read Bossypants, I felt like Tina Fey kept her readers at a distance.  Dratch gave me more personal info than I wanted or needed, discussing pet names she and her boyfriend have given each other.  Overall, it's not a bad book, though parts of it may appeal more than others depending on one's interests.  It's a very quick read, so while it isn't a waste of time, I think this is one I'd recommend getting from the library or on Kindle rather than making it a permanent part of one's personal library.
 
 
 

No comments: