Sunday, March 23, 2008

Meme - Movie Quotes

When I was younger, my dad and I used to quote movies to each other and then try to guess which movie it was from - he still occasionally tries to do this, but I don't rewatch movies over and over again like I used to, so I usually just ignore him now. Anyway, I found this meme on Reading is My Superpower, and decided to play.

Here are the rules:
1. Pick 10 of your favorite movies.
2. Go to IMDb (Internet Movie Database) and find a quote from each movie.
3. Post them here for everyone to guess
4. Strike it out when someone guesses correctly, and put who guessed it and the movie.
5. No Googling or IMDb-ing. That's cheating, and that's no fun!

1. I have no where to send this letter and no reason to believe you wish to receive it. I write it only for myself. And so I will hide it away with all things left unsaid and undone between us. - Legends of the Fall

2. You prefer a book to your husband's company? Well no wonder, I'm only flesh and blood - that's no match for the printed page! - Quills


3. Tell you what, we coulda had a good life together! Fuckin' real good life! Had us a place of our own. But you didn't want it, - - -! So what we got now is - - -! Everything's built on that! That's all we got, boy, fuckin' all. So I hope you know that, even if you don't never know the rest! You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short fucking leash you keep me on - and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get. You have no idea how bad it gets! - Brokeback Mountain

4. Because it's a book about a man who doesn't know he's about to die. And then dies. But if a man does know he's about to die and dies anyway. Dies- dies willingly, knowing that he could stop it, then- I mean, isn't that the type of man who you want to keep alive? - Stranger Than Fiction

5. Please let me keep this memory, just this one. - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Superfast Reader

6. Boy, it sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don't you think? - Serenity

7. I owe you nothing. And you are nothing to me. Thank you for curing me of my ridiculous obsession with love. - Moulin Rouge

8. You never understood, why we did this. The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special... you really don't know?... it was... it was the look on their faces... - The Prestige

9. It's okay for guys like you and Court to fuck everyone. But when I do it, I get dumped for innocent little twits like Cecile. God forbid, I exude confidence and enjoy sex. Do you think I relish the fact that I have to act like Mary Sunshine 24/7 so I can be considered a lady? I'm the Marcia fucking Brady of the Upper East Side, and sometimes I want to kill myself. So there's your psychoanalysis, Dr. Freud. Now tell me, are you in... or are you out? - Cruel Intentions, Superfast Reader

10. Well I was just wonderin' why you would throw home when we got a two-run lead. You let the tying run get on second base and we lost the lead because of you. Start using your head. That's the lump that's three feet above your ass. - A League of Their Own, Dad

Just for my dad:
Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy. - The Outlaw Josey Wales, Dad

Bonus:
Not a movie, but from one of my favorite TV shows:
No weapons... no friends... no hope. Take all that away and what's left? - Me. (Such a great scene!) - Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 2 Episode 22 ("Becoming Part II"), Dad

Update: I guess it helps to have readers for this kind of stuff . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not nice to ignore your father.

Anonymous said...

1. Letter From An Unknown
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotkess Mind
9. Cruel Intentions

Anonymous said...

10. A League of Their Own
Bonus. The Outlaw Josey Wales

Jen, you need to watch more action movies. Dad

Anonymous said...

Oops, actually the one for me only is Josey Wales, the bonus has to be Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, but I don't know which episode.