Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Accidentally Bought a Cook Book

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris

I've read Stephen Colbert's I am America (And So Can You), and also have a copy of America sitting in my apartment somewhere. I thought this looked like it might be an entertaining tongue in cheek comedic book as well. It mostly was but only half of the book actually contained written content - the last half was a collection of recipes and crafts. The first part of the book was rather funny, though I think towards the end, she was really grasping as far as trying to find topics to discuss. Some of her hints about hosting actually sounded rather useful and reasonable (actually, sometimes, she has too much reasonable, good advice and swerves too far from the comedy), while other suggestions are insane, such as her money jar and her need to sell things for a quarter. Surprisingly enough, I think some of the recipes might actually be worth a shot (her Tzatiziki recipe probably wouldn't get runny too quickly, which is a problem my mom has).

I also just looked on Amazon because I was curious about people's reactions - some of the negative comments were rather funny. I guess some people didn't realize this was supposed to be humorous and were disappointed with the lack of useful hosting tips. Oops. It might not be the most substantial or funniest book out there, but it was still a nice distraction. I haven't been able to focus on the normal book I'm reading right now, but this worked perfectly. Of course, deciding to rewatch all three season of Arrested Development also isn't helping too much on the book front.

As far as movies are concerned, I'm really not that impressed with Ron Howard - I think his movies tend to go for the schmaltz factor a lot, but as the narrator and producer of Arrested Development? Absolutely fantastic.

No comments: