I always love looking at the Broke and the Bookish's weekly Top Ten Tuesday but I am horrible at making lists. However this one is perfect for me at this point in time because the topic is "top ten books that will be in my beach bag this summer" - since my beach vacation is about a week and half away, I've already been planning this! My actual time off from work starts tomorrow, though.
1. Skin Game by Jim Butcher - okay, that's a lie. I'm reading this as soon as I get to my parents' on Thursday
2. The Chocolate Kiss by Laura Florand - I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to read this.
3. Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop - because Written in Red was amazing!
4. Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King - new Stephen King? Of course I have that on preorder!
5. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - I love everything else I've read by her but have been letting this one sit in my TBR stack for too long
6. Empress Dowager Cixi by Jung Chang or Cleopatra by Stacey Schiff - figured I needed to add least some more serious reading, and both of these are about powerful, misunderstood women
7. Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan - it seems like everyone has read this, and it's time to jump on the band wagon
8. Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende - Allende is another favorite though I'm so used to her novels having a historical setting; it will be interesting to see where this one goes
9. The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison - my current fun escapist series
10. The World of Yesterday by Jared Diamond - love his nonfiction books.
11. Where She Went by Gayle Forman (since my #1 doesn't really count) - I just read If I Stay, and was thoroughly impressed. Usually my forays into YA tend to involve supernatural or dystopian settings.
As this list probably makes obvious, I'm one of those people that interprets beach read as lighter fare.
The Silkworm would be on that list except it isn't released until after I leave for my trip!