Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Just another day in Lawton

I've decided this place is cursed.  Or at the very least that according to some higher force I'm not actually supposed to be here.  After all, while I've never been strong at many military skills, I've never had as many problems shooting or keeping up on runs as I've had since arriving at Sill.  When you add in the fact that I had an accident on my way to Oklahoma, it all seems like a sign that I'm in the wrong place.  Too bad I'm not religious so I don't believe in signs from God but I've certainly hit a streak of bad luck.  I just talked to my insurance company, and apparently I misunderstood them so they aren't actually paying for the rental.  The claim said I could have one for up to five days while the car was being repaired - my car's been at the shop more than a week now, and isn't covered for being in the shop, waiting to be repaired.  The part that I find extremely annoying though is that even if I hadn't misunderstood, the five days is not enough.  My car is an hour away, I have long days, and the only time I have off is on weekends.  Since I can only get up to the dealership on weekends, or more accurately Saturday (the rental place isn't open Sunday), I would need at least a week of coverage because of my life style.  I thought the whole point of insurance was so these kind of things wouldn't be a problem but apparently I was wrong.  If I'd known this was going to happen, I would have taken a cab back to Lawton - it probably would have been cheaper!

Tomorrow is going to be a pretty long day; rumor has it that we aren't getting back till midnight.  I think we are going to be clearing buildings at night so we are getting night vision, but I still think I'll fall or run into things, especially since night vision doesn't provide very good depth perception, and some of those staircases are narrow and steep.  Friday is a tactical day, and we will be raiding Liberty City.  Even though it's happening during my squad leader rotation, I won't actually be squad leader during the attack so it shouldn't be too bad.  Maybe I'll even get rid of the radio for the day.  Halfway there!

I went out for Chinese tonight with some of the guys.  My fortune was just about the funniest thing I'd ever seen, considering my summer:  This year will bring you much happiness .  I guess I'll be very happy come graduation day but I don't know if that's enough to make it a happy year.

No comments: