Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Book 109: My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

This is the first Picoult novel I've read, and I admit I was pleasantly surprised. After all the Asimov and Lehane I'd been reading lately, I wanted something "girly" and not part of a series. Given that this film has been turned into a Cameron Diaz film, I figured it would be simple, maybe a little preachy but a nice break from murder mysteries. But I actually liked Picoult's style. Did a few things seem a bit contrived - yes (the lawyer with a secret disability who meets his ex because of the case? Really?). Stereotypical? Yes (the delinquent, ignored son). But, overall, I liked the people. As much as some things seemed like stereotypes. they still seemed real.

Given that the movie has recently come out, there's really no reason to get into the plot too much: I think it's safe to say basically everyone has an idea what this is about. Anna decides to sue her parents for medical emancipation after they need a kidney from her to save her older sister with leukemia. Anna has been used in various medical treatments to help her sister, and was in fact conceived to have the same genetic make up in order to help cure Kate. This has made their lives and relationships complicated, and as much as Anna loves Kate, she also wants her own life. There is more to it, and Campbell, her lawyer, keeps digging at Anna to get to her motivations because she often appears to change her mind or like she's not being honest. It finally all comes out in the end.

I've been a bit behind on reviews lately so I can't really remember much else of my reactions. Actually, even after reading it, I don't think I had too much to say: enjoyable, definitely will check another book out by Picoult, and time for the next novel. I'm not super emotional usually so it didn't make me sit around and think too much but as I said, I can be kind of cold and heartless.

No comments: