Monday, January 07, 2013

Book Challenges

While I've been participating in the Cannonball Read for what will now be five years running, I thought it might be fun to add some other book challenges.  I'm always reading about different ones peopel are doing on book blogs, and I feel like it could help me branch out a bit as far as my reading goes and hopefully discover new authors.
The first one I want to do is the Mount TBR Challenge as I'm sure my dad will be glad to hear.  The idea?  Read books from your to read pile or "mount."  Any books owned prior to 1 JAN 13 qualify.  Guess it's a good thing I went on my post Christmas shopping spree before 1 Jan.  I'm going to start at Mount Vancouver (36 books) though I can always go for more.

 
 
The next one that appeals to me is one that has a list of keywords for each month, and the idea is to read a novel each month that has one of those key words in the title.  Sounds like it could be fun.  I know I have at least one book in my TBR pile that includes the word "winter" so that would take care of two birds, one stone.
monthly key word challenge
I read a lot of historical fiction.  Not as much as I used to, and I try to incorporate nonfiction more, but in general, I'd say fantasy and historical fiction are my most read genres.  In fact I just started the first of historical fiction trilogy.  As a result, I'm going to sign up for the 2013 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge, aiming for Medieval level with 15 books.
I don't think I'm really going far out of my comfort zone on any of these but I figure I'll get to read some interesting reviews this way, and feel a bit more obligated to work through my pile of unread books rather than simply adding more to it.

1 comment:

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome to Mount TBR! Good luck with your climb this year.