Monday, April 27, 2009

Book 45: Shutter Island

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Wow. This novel is really good, a lot better than I expected. I knew the author had written Mystic River, which was turned into a film I have no interest in seeing so despite reading recommendations for this, I thought it might be a little boring. I was wrong.

After an intro by Dr. Lester Sheehan, the novel starts in 1954 with two federal marshals, Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule, on their way to Shutter Island to investigate the disappearance of an escaped patient. Shutter Island is the location of a mental hospital/prison, housing some very violent offenders and mass murderers. Rachel Solando has escaped from her room, and Teddy and Chuck keep being gently blocked in their inquiries, leading them to think that there is something off about the whole institution. There are hints of extreme medical surgery, and Lehane keeps it interesting the whole time with many twists thrown in. Additionally, it is a study into the brain and psychology since obviously, that kind of stuff is going to come up at a mental hospital.

I started it last night, kept reading longer than I'd planned, and then when I'd actually put the book to the side, kept expecting something to jump out of the shadows. As I said very well-written, and suspenseful.

No comments: