Saturday, April 25, 2009

Prague Pictures

As I may have mentioned before, I spent Easter in Prague, which is an amazing city. I've been meaning to post a few pictures from the trip for a few weeks now, but keep getting distracted.

While I was in Vienna, I "discovered" the artist Alphonse Mucha, and further research revealed that he had a museum in Prague, so that was my one goal for the weekend, to see that museum. There weren't any pictures allowed but Mucha also designed a stained glass window for St. Vitus Cathedrale (which is on top of a really high hill that I got to walk up twice in one weekend), so I got a few pictures of that. I just love his designs and he may have replaced Monet as my favorite artist though they have very different styles.

I am afraid of heights, and also have a thing when it comes to tight, spiral stair cases, especially going down or when wearing sandals. I don't know, I guess I'm afraid my shoe will get stuck, and then I'll fall down. Generally, I avoid going up towers like at Notre Dame, though I went up the Arc de Triomphe, though this was partially because I didn't realize what the ticket I was buying was for. However, once I was told that the tower to the old city hall/clock tower had an elevator, I was willing to go up. It also turned out there wasn't actually a spiral stair case but instead a ramp all the way up so I was okay walking up - the very last portion was a stair case which was fortunately only about a story high , but my friend Katie lost her shoe on the way so it's not like I have a completely unfounded fear. Anyway, I'm actually glad I went up there because I got some pretty amazing pictures out of it. The Arc de Triomphe for example is far enough from anything high (which I think is actually a law to keep the appearance) so that when you try taking a picture of the view, they all look kind of boring (however, pictures of the Arc de Triomphe look pretty damn cool). The clock tower was in the middle of a down town area and near a few churches so I actually got some cool shots. There was also a huge Easter market going on in the square (last time I was in Prague, there was a huge Christmas Market in the same spot).




No comments: