Sunday, November 09, 2008

Art and Fashion

Portrait de Maidemoiselle Chanel

Monet is probably my favorite artist ever, but I always like to include the caveat that I don't much about art along with that statement. There are just a lot of artists I don't know anything about. Overall though, I tend to have a certain fondness for the Impressionist movement (I'm not a big fan of anything more recent). This portrait of Coco Chanel was in the basement of the Musee de L'Orangerie, and I really liked it. It was even cooler to discover that it was painted by a woman artist (go feminism!), Marie Laurencin, whom I'd never heard of before.

I also stopped by the Chanel store on Avenue Montaigne, and my god, that place makes the other couture stores look cheap. I saw a beautiful pair of boots at Christian Dior for 798 Euro and another pair at Prada for 750 (so pretty!) but the one pair I just happened to look at in Chanel were 10,000 - unless I read the label wrong (and I didn't even like them as much as the Prada ones). I don't think so, though. I wish I were rich (not that I could wear the clothes, because I don't think couture comes in anything above a 4, but I do like the accessories).

No comments: